Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Surreal Baby Life



People say things change a lot when you have a baby, and they weren't kidding. I never knew I could function on this little sleep (and this is coming from a former architecture student). Laina has definitely changed our lives in ways we still haven't realized.

The last two nights have been pretty rough. We were hoping she'd give us a break last night so we could get some reasonable consecutive period of sleep in, but no such luck. She seemed to step up her feeding schedule from every 2-3 hours to every hour overnight. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to function at work next week if this keeps up...

There is hope for better sleep on the horizon, though. Jenna's milk has come in (didn't you all want to know that?), which supposedly helps the baby get fuller quicker and sleep more soundly. We also picked up some of those anti-gas drops (thanks for the tip, Heldts), so hopefully tonight we'll be able to start catching up on sleep. She's gone from losing weight to starting to gain weight, so hopefully that will make her a little happier as well



Anyway, lucky for Laina, she's still incredibly adorable, and we still marvel at the fact that she's actually our flesh and blood daughter. She seems to get stronger every day (all three since she's been born), and seems to learn so much so fast!

Ella (the dog) is still a little dumbfounded by this screaming,squeaky munchkin that we've brought into her territory. She gets really concerned whenever Laina cries, and tries to come over and lick her feet or ears (she probably figures it works for puppies, so it must work for this hairless smushfaced puppy, right?), which Laina does not particularly enjoy at this juncture... Poor dog.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Poor Ella, trying to be a good puppy Mama ... and poor Jay and Jenna with so little sleep! I will be praying for extra doses of energy for you two! Laina is precious!

Rachel said...

Licking the baby... now that I would like to see video of! Yeah Jenna, way to grow milk! I hope to follow your lead SOON. Until then, a little formula and a lot of pacifier use will have to do the trick.