
I was at an office party a week or so ago at the Wynkoop Brewery (next to Coors Field, where the Rockies and Padres are currently tied up in the first baseball game I've watched in years), and was talking to an Australian couple (the wife was a temp at our firm from New Zealand, and the husband was from Australia). For some reason, I brought up one of our favorite movies, which happens to be an Aussie movie, The Castle (the cast is pictured above watching Price is Right and loving it) I just wanted to find out if they had heard of it, and turns out it was huge in Australia. Apparently the phrases that Jenna and I would toss around at home like "That's goin' straight to the pool room" when getting a display-worthy present, or "What d'ya call that, love" when admiring a homemade meal, or the favorite "Tell him he's dreamin" when somebody's asking price is too high, were practically household phrases in Australia because of that movie. Who knew?
I just thought it was us and the Grundmans that knew that movie, but there's a whole country that knows what you're talking about when you say "How's the Serenity".
If you haven't seen The Castle, I highly recommend it. Its about this family that doesn't have much, but is completely content with what they do have. They happen to live next door to an airport that wants to expand, and the airport tries to use eminent domain to force them to sell their home. The family fights back with a horrible lawyer, which makes for a great low budget underdog comedy (according to the wikipedia article I linked to, it was filmed in 11 days) with tons of great lines.
This raises an opportunity for an interactive post... What's a movie you love for some reason, but most people might just pass up? We've been watching a lot of 'em lately after Laina goes to bed, so maybe this will spark some Netflix adds...
3 comments:
We recently saw Facing the Giants. The acting was so so, but it was really inspirational and filmed for $100,000.
Mike would definitely go with Office Space for his must see pick. My brain has mom mush so I can't think of any great independent films right now. Maybe another day...
Without hesitation, "Empire Records". There are so many quotable lines in that movie, plus random shots of ceramic dogs and other various items.
Regarding "The Castle", Tommy and I watched it and really liked it too.
I'm sure that you saw "Garden State", and probably "the Science of Sleep", I also liked "Dear Frankie" (more sweet and honest type film and less artsy). I liked "Brick", Theresa not as fond of but liked. Also I'm sure that you saw "Elizabeth Town" we really liked it as well. Sorry not too many sleepers off the top of my head. Another with Elijah Wood where he takes a journey back to Germany or Poland becouse of the death of his grandmother or grandfather and he tries to learn something of his roots and finds more than he expected. This was a great film but I can't remember the title.
Post a Comment