Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Saga of the Baritone Guitar

Since I play the acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and bass guitar I already own for maybe a half hour to 45 minutes a week tops, I decided that for my 30th birthday I wanted another instrument (?)

Way back in the days of
One Cent Spent - my band in college, I used to play bass. I used to use a pick, which among bass players is considered very un-kosher, but I didn't care because it was "punk rock"... which I think sounds better with a pick. When using a pick, I used to experiment with playing melody on the upper strings, rather than just a boring bassline. Of course, using just the top two strings was kind of limiting, and they're kind of thick, so while it sounded cool, there was only so much to do with it.

Low and behold, I found out a couple of years ago about an instrument that is designed specifically for the range that my ears were trying to get. The Baritone guitar.

You may have heard it in music like
Interpol, The Cranberries, Pinback, The Cure, and also was used a lot in 60s surf music and spaghetti westerns. Its that instrument that you can't tell whether its a bass or a guitar (because it isn't either one).

Anyway, I've wanted to try one out since I heard about them, but they are pretty impossible to find anywhere, and they are also usually pretty expensive (and I only buy cheap instruments - being that I'm cheap). However, I found out that Sam Ash online has/had a nice knockoff that was only $250 (less than half the price of any other), the OLP MM5. So I ordered it for my birthday... in July... Its a little "metal" looking, but it supposedly sounds good.



Its now the end of September and I still have no baritone... Right after clicking, I noticed that it said it was on "back order". I've called regularly since the end of July and keep getting told it is about to ship... I've been pretty patient, because its really not the end of the world if a guitar takes a few extra weeks to ship, its not like its a new kidney or something. But its starting to get a little rediculous.

Anyway, I think I finally got through to someone who actually intends to do something about the situation, so hopefully I'll be rocking out in the basement (quietly - baby's sleeping) pretty soon.


I'll keep you guys posted, as I'm sure you're riveted. And if I happen to write the second greatest song in the world
, I'll post it... (FYI, Tenacious D wrote the first greatest song in the world, but tragically forgot it)

4 comments:

Larry and Theresa said...

Tenacious D? Anyways You've got to somehow post or send us an audio file of your hit whenever you do finally get the guitar. If it’s any consolation, I've been waiting about 6 months for a lame $100 refund/reimbursement check from my insurance company regarding an automobile claim. About a dozen phone calls and I feel like I'm nowhere further than when I started. Good luck!

Rachel said...

It's pretty! I hope it comes soon.

Amber said...

Last week Kyle left the Band. One-y the good news is that the MM on the baritone stands for Musicman, and that instrument is built by Ernie Ball. It all comes back to San Luis Obispo. Well, it's probably made in China or Bakerfield now, but that's still close. - The O

Unknown said...

Wow. That was a lot of background information to read through about a guitar that it turns out you do not even have yet. :)

Good luck. And I know you can post video clips (see others do it), so I am sure you can audio clips.