No new pics today, but I just wanted to post about how awesome Colorado is and how awesome our neighbors are. Today I did not have to go to work, but I really, really, wanted to get to the grocery store, and also my friend and I had planned to do some baking together at her house before all this happened. Her neighborhood got plowed (but only because all her neighbors got together and paid someone to do it!) so I knew if I could only get out of our parking lot it would be clear sailing. Plus I do have to work tomorrow so I thought better to test the conditions today so I know what I'm up against tomorrow.
I was watching out the window all morning to see if people were having any luck getting out of the lot...not really. People kept getting stuck, so I kept waiting for the plow to come. Nothing. I checked again and there were several people down there all shoveling so I thought I'd go see if they were actually going to try to leave or what. They were trying to get out to go grocery shopping, too, and one girl trying to get to work. Everyone was so nice and super helpful. Since Jay had already shoveled my car out yesterday, all I had to do was get backed out and then drive down the parking lot to the main street. This super nice girl who has lived in the snow forever offered to do it for me - how awesome! She actually did get stuck a couple times and luckily there were many people around to help with a push. She drove all the way down the parking lot for me and basically gave me a little lesson and demonstration on driving in the snow. Awesome!!!
So, as I reflect on today and yesterday and all the people and camaraderie, I am just thinking how blessed we are to live where we do and how awesome it is. This would NEVER EVER happen in southern California, especially Orange County (neither the snow nor the awesome people!) Things like this really bring a neighborhood together and I just pray that wherever we end up buying a house will have awesome neighbors, too. I'm sure mostly what people are hearing in the news is all the bad stories, but I have a completely different perspective on the whole thing. Plus, talk about being forced to slow down around the holidays and think about what Christmas really means. People couldn't go shopping at the malls (or anywhere) and most people were forced to take the day off of work. Get rid of the commercialism and stress and take some time off and get to know your neighbors. Give me a snow day anyway!
(By the way, when I got back today I parked in the lot next door, which is also the same condos, because somehow they were lucky enough to get plowed - or maybe they just payed someone!)
OK, I lied, I found a pic that we haven't posted yet. I took this yesterday when the sun came out. Our condo is the one on the top. That is our balcony that Ella likes to hang out on when it's not covered in snow.

4 comments:
yes, the real meaning of Christmas. Getting stuck in the snow and spending 4 hours digging out only to have to walk a 1/2 mile to get picked up for work at 6am. I LOVE IT! :)
It hasn't made me reflect on the true meaning of Christmas. I am such a heathen. It has made me appreciate the way people put other's needs in front of their own here. For two days now, I have watched people digging out someone's car or helping to clear a driveway for someone who has to get out, or yesterday, watching five adults attempt to clear our street so one family could make it to the DMV. I felt guilty that I couldn't help being that I am with child and takling care of child. I'm sure my turn will come in the years ahead.
exactly, Rachel! (Sorry, Mike, it would suck to have to hike thru the snow to get to work...but think of all the great stories for the kids, though! "you know, back when I was a lad...hiking thru the snow up hill both ways...etc etc...)
But yes, people are certainly more neighborly in a situation like this.
looks like there is more snow on the way! enjoy! ---steve
Post a Comment