Since we've gotten extremely lazy about this blog since we started using dial-up, we've missed a few weeks, and Jenna keeps telling me I need to do an update.. so here goes.After the Holiday Blizzard of 2006, we dug out and I was able to go out and buy a couple of presents on the 23rd (as per my usual routine), but alas no snow shovels to be found... We got another light dusting of snow on Christmas Eve, which was just enough for effect. It was really picturesque to come out of church after singing christmas carols to some light snowfall, and come home to some hot cocoa and a warm fireplace.
Christmas morning, therefore, was nice and white (all the dirty road-snow had been covered over). This was the scene from our living room:


We went down to the Heldts and had some tasty Christmas dinner at their house, and admired the depth of the snow in their backyard (which I still don't see any snow angels in)
We went back to work for the week between Christmas and New Year's, only I actually got just 2 1/2 days in, because Holiday Blizzard #2 (aka Son of Holiday Blizzard) reared it's ugly head on Thursday afternoon. Not wanting a repeat of the previous week's adventure, I decided to bail out early while I could still get home. Luckily we avoided the worst case scenario, and a second weather system battled off the worst of the storm and kept it in southeast colorado (where I heard 30,000 cattle died, and there are snowdrifts up to 15 feet!). We still got about 10 inches of snow, however, making the freshly plowed roads completely nasty again. Our parking lot is still icy and rutted... but at least we don't have 15 foot snowdrifts...
New Year's Eve Eve was our FIFTH anniversary, which we wished we could have been a little more extravagant with, but given our budget, we made the best of things and went to Bucca Di Beppo in downtown Denver with a gift card we had gotten from Jenna's aunt for Christmas. We weren't quite prepared for how cold it was that night, and both stepped in puddles of melted snow and ice up to our ankles, but despite the freezing cold soggy feet, we had a good night celebrating five years of marriage (and 8 years together total!).
The next night, we decided to check out the downtown scene for New Year's Eve, since this is our last year without a baby to tote around and put to bed (I guess we still had a baby with us, but in a convenient carry-on pouch in Jenna's belly). We first decided to wuss out and go to the 9pm fireworks show and take off before the drunks were out, but we missed the early train (which were running for free), and ended up getting there around 10:30. We hung out for a little while, got some hot cocoa at Starbucks, watched some obnoxious drunk people for a while, and decided we really weren't New Year's Eve types, so we rode home around 11:15 or so. It made us realize once again that we're just not really into crowds. We walked in the door just in time to watch the last 30 seconds of the countdown on TV!
For some reason every year I get less and less excited about the clock striking midnight... It's nice and all, but some people just seem to get unnaturally fired up about the date changing.
Anyway, I hope you all have a happy new year. We resolve to attempt to make an effort to try and update this sucker a little more often (how's that for weasel-words).
5 comments:
I can't believe all the snow you guys are getting. It's all I hear on the news these days. Let me tell you, I'll be updating like crazy if we ever get any snow here. We've had temps in the 70s for the last 3 weeks or so. And here I thought I was moving to a colder place...
Jenna, you'r belly is so cute!
Duh, I knew it was your anniversary and I totally missed it! Not that I would have sent a card or anyhting, but I would have at least wished Jenna a happy anniversary during on one of our many phone calls!!! So belated anniversary tacos tomorrow it is. Jenna, good outfit choice for the pic.
Happy belated anniversary! I love tghe snow photos. I still can't believe you guys live in snow. It looks beautiful. Also thanks for the belly update... Jenna that shirt is super cute! Have a great weekend!
Correction: 30,000 cattle did not die in the blizzard - that was a number from an old blizzard. Last I heard it was more like 1,500 this time. Still a lot of cows, though. They did get 15 foot snowdrifts, though...
Mike and I thought you were telling stories, we heard as many as 3000 cows.
Post a Comment