I'm going to keep this fairly short because I don't want to give out too much info and spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.
I went into this movie with pretty low expectations. I loved the book, and movies never live up to the books, so I really wasn't sure if I would even like it at all. But, I was still very excited to see it and see how it would be on the big screen, and to have a night out with the girls. Over all, I liked it! As with all books that are made into movies, there is just so much to try and cram into 2 hours. I did feel like it was rushed and the story didn't develop as well as in the book. I'm not sure that someone who didn't read the book would really know what's going on. Yes, I think they would be entertained, but they wouldn't get a lot of the "inside" stuff going on. But, with that said, I really think that 99% of the movie's audience are people who have read the book.
I think Kristin Stewart was a perfect Bella. I know some people are critical of her performance, but I thought she was totally believable as Bella and acted the part just right.
Rob Pattinson as Edward I have mixed feelings about. There were definitely some great moments where he absolutely was Edward. But then there were some where he seemed too stiff, too forced, not the suave, debonair Edward of a century past. I am very hopeful for his performances in subsequent movies, though. I think he is still a young actor and is definitely going to get better with future films.
Taylor Lautner as Jacob Black was absolutely perfect. I don't think they could have cast a better person for the role. I already wish he had a bigger part and am anxious to see more of him in New Moon. He makes what happens in New Moon so much more believable for me, and I could totally see how Bella could be torn between him and Edward. That is one part of the story that I think actually came across better on the big screen than it did in the book.
Charlie was acted well but he definitely didn't look the way I imagined. For some reason I pictured him older, heavier, and a little balding. Renee on the other hand was perfect.
Victoria, James, and Laurent were all great. The actors looked and played their parts well.
The Cullens - I think Alice, Emmett, and Jasper were great. Rosalie I think was portrayed perfectly, but her apperance was not what I expected. She is supposed to be devastatingly beautiful, the most beautiful of all the Cullens, and she just didn't do it for me. I expected a more victorian, refined lady. She had a "Pollyana" feel to me. I was dissapointed in both Carlile and Esme. I think their parts (what little there was) were played ok, but they just didn't have the same feel as in the book.
All of Bella's high school friends I thought were pretty good. No one had a real big part there, and I wish thier characters would have been developed a little more.
I think that sums up all of the more major players.
One thing that I really loved in the movie, much more so than the book, was the baseball scene. In the book, I have to be honest, it bored me. In the movie it was really exciting, fun, and of course a perfect introduction to the villans. I'm also thrilled there was, in fact, a Port Angeles scene, as I heard they were not going to do it. That is my favorite scene in the book and I'm glad it was in the movie. I'm not sure how I feel about the extra scenes they added to the movie that were not in the book. I feel like they could have left them out and spent more time doing something more productive, like more character development.
All in all, I had a great night, I liked the movie, and I definitely want to see it again. And the big news just released today? New Moon is a confirmed GO! Check it out here! (Oops, I did a pretty bad job at keeping this short...)
5 comments:
I may have been Team Jacob if I saw the movies first. I would totally approve of him for either of my girls!
I thought the scenes they added were okay. There were mostly having to do with the bad guys and I guess it might have seemed a little random if they hadn't shown up at all until the baseball scene. Speaking of the baseball scene, I agree that it was better in the movie. I thought it was cheesy in the book, but it came across really well in the movie. I won't say too much since I'm planning on doing a review on my blog too.
I predict that a new trend will be pale skin for the next couple of seasons. Tanning salons beware of lesser profits! It's about time that a fad crossed my path.
oh I didn't really think about the extra scenes with the killings. I was talking more about the field trip and the trees...
I agree with all of your assessments! I was totally against Rob Pattinson being cast as Edward ~ he's not my Edward at all ~ but, he grew on me and I could accept him by the end of the movie. I am still Team Edward. I liked Bella. I saw Charlie the same way you did ~ I have to go back and see how she describes him in the book...maybe I was projecting and didn't really absorb the description in the book. I am going to go see the movie again, too. Maybe two more times :o)
Post a Comment