Friday, October 27, 2006

more snow, knitting, and super friends...

just a hodge-podge of random notes...

It snowed again yesterday, but instead of being a light dusting overnight, it was pretty much snowing all day and we ended up with close to a foot of powder. Luckily Thursdays are a normal day off for me, so I didn't have to drive anywhere, but Jay decided to go into work and it took him about an hour just to get to the train station! It will be really nice when the new one opens in a month that is practically right down the street.

Ella absolutely hated going outside while the snow was actually falling, and it took all my patience to stand out there with her in the cold to wait for her to go to the bathroom. Once it did stop snowing in the afternoon, she had a blast romping around in the snow that completely covered her legs! Unfortunately I did not get a picture of that. But here's one thru our window while it was cold and snowy (that is our driveway/parking lot)


So, what does one do at home all day while it's cold and snowy outside? Why, knit a baby blanket of course! (Actually, I began this new project about a week ago and have been steadily working away. But the snowy day gave me lots of time to really make some progress). I found this super cute yellow and white yarn with a patern on the label for a baby blanket. The yarn is supposed to be self-striping, so it does the work of making the stripes for you. But don't be fooled, this is not what I'd call an "easy" project (contrary to the label indicatior). There is a border going around the entire blanket and it involves counting stitches and knitting and purling. I'm pretty impressed with myself for actually attempting to follow a patern (though I did have to call my friend Erin to get some help with abbreviations). I have actually screwed it up several times already, sometimes just letting it slide and trying to work it out, and a couple times actually un-knitting my work and
backtracking and doing it again the right way. So here's a picture of the work in progress...


And finally for the best part...the friends. Jay already mentioned in the last post about how blessed we've been with friends. The people we are renting this condo from let us borrow some of thier furniture, our friends the Heldts let us borrow a TV and antenna (so we don't even have to pay for cable and we get about 10 stations!), a new friend from my church women's group gave us a laundry basket full of kitchen stuff, and now the latest, my friend from high school just sent me a bunch of maternity clothes! It's awesome, there are 3 pairs of jeans and a pair of pants that fit now, plus 3 more pairs of jeans that will fit when i get more of a belly! Plus a ton of shirts which will also fit when I have a belly. So thank you to everyone!!! Jay and I feel so blessed and even though circumstances are not what we were planning, we know that it's all in God's hands - He shows us every day that He takes care of us according to His plan!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

What a good attitude you are having now a days! I cannot believe how much progress you have made on that blanket. You know the baby won't be here for several months still. You'll have matching booties, hat and sweater by then!

Erin said...

The blanket looks great! I am way impressed. Are you going with yellow theme? My month off is coming up and I will have some time for knitting - Leave the sweater hat and booties to me, Rach. :)

Joshua said...

You know your last paragraph reminds me of the very first episode on the first season of Little House on the Prairie. It was called "Harvest of Friends". It's when the Ingalls family first moves to Walnut grove and Charles tries to find work everywhere to provide for his family. In the process he makes a lot of friends, but he ends up making a deal with one businessman that turns sour. Charles breaks a rib and can't finish one of his jobs that will cost him his two oxen. But the rest of the men in town know his situation and help him to finish the job.

Jenna Hoskinson said...

Yeah, it's amazing what a little more space can do.

As for the baby "theme" - we don't really have an official one yet, but we are not going to find out the sex of the baby so it will have to be neutral colors. I saw a really cool nursery in a picture that was kinda 60s color theme, with orange, yellow, magenta and/or some other bright colors. I really liked it so maybe that's what we'll end up doing...