Wednesday, August 30, 2006

City of the future


There's a lot of building going on here in Denver. I've seen or heard from 3 different famous architects in the last couple of weeks - Steven Holl, who's design architect for the Denver Justice Center Courthouse (which I will probably be working on in some capacity because my firm is the local architect) has been wandering around in our office, Robert AM Stern is design architect for the "Cosmopolitan Club" (downtown assisted living facility) which I've been working on off and on, and tonight I went and saw Daniel Libeskind (designer of the Denver Art Museum expansion and the World Trade Center master plan) unveil his design of the civic center park in the middle of downtown (picture below, article here)




Its really rare to see so many high profile projects going on simultaneously, with both public and private money. Even cooler is that I get to be somehow involved in some of it. The fact that these big shot out-of-state types are swarming all over tells me the word is getting out about Denver. The civic center park looks to be a very cool place to go when you all come out here (although since its just in the "vision" stage, it will be years before its complete). Libeskind echoed some of the same sentiment that attracted me here, about the pride that Denverites have in their city, and the bright future the area has. I keep thinking its such a awesome time to get to be a small part of building this city at this point in its history.


Its funny that when we decided to move out here, I was just hoping I could find a reasonable job working on halfway decent projects. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into.


I'd love to actually move here. Just gotta sell the house!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow Jay, you could always fall back into a role as city spokeshole or something. Makes me want to move to Denver. Oh, wait! Anyway, that does look cool. Is that model made out of cheese?

Rachel said...

I'm sure it is hard to feel settled with your current circumstance. Just think how big a house will be compared to your currents digs!

Steve said...

I think the job of making the model would be cool. Carving all those little shapes and making your own little world. You'd probably make yourself feel very large in the meantime.

Jay said...

That reminds me of the best quote from Zoolander... "How can we teach kids to read when they can't even fit in the building? What is this, a school for ANTS?"