Saturday, October 17, 2009

Art, Anyone?

Laina loves coloring. She has loved coloring and drawing for a long time now. So, I decided to sign her up for a toddler art class at our rec center this month. So far she's had two classes. The most recent one she created this spider collage where she used chalks to pattern the background, molded putty into a spider, put on the legs and eyes (and she insisted it have a mouth), glued strings down for a web, and glued on Mr Spider. The only part I helped her with was cutting the string and the glue. Pretty good, eh?



The one below is from her first day at art class. They made collages by first swirling paint around the background. Then cutting out a "tree" and "branches" and gluing them on. And lastly sponging on "leaves". It was supposed to be fairly whimsical and impressionistic, but I think Laina's turned out a bit more like modern art, maybe with a Japanese flair? She learned to use scissors for the first time in that class and that was the only part I helped her with. I'm so proud of my little budding artist!


This one below she created at Little Monkey Bizness, which is an indoor kids play area. They have a painting room and this is what she made. I think this one is my favorite and I might even mount it and hang it in her new big girl room that Jay is painting today :)


And here she is really getting into her coloring at home. She loves to partially climb up onto the coffee table and color intensely.

3 comments:

amy luella said...

adorable, jenna!

Rachel said...

Awesome work Laina!

Larry and Theresa said...

Awww, u guys are gonna have to get a scanner so Laina can send Grandma & Grandpa some of her artwork. Wouldn't it be fun to show her our received artwork over the webcam?