We went hiking this morning (I'll let Jay do that post w/pics and all), and I made us a delicious, hearty and healthy pancake breakfast to fuel us up for the excursion. These aren't your ordinary from a mix pancakes. No, they are my very own recipe (modified from a couple previously tried and not quite to my liking recipes) for buckwheat pancakes with blueberries.
The whole wheat and buckwheat are key to the recipe and provide complex carbs for long-lasting fuel. The blueberries make it delicious and add that healthy anti-oxidant boost. The agave nectar is a natural sweetener that I discovered from the Mama Manifesto where they have recently been discussing sugar and alternatives to using the refined white variety. I bought the Agave nectar (or syrup as some call it) from the local health food store. It was by the honey. It sort of looks like honey and comes in a similar jar. It is thinner though and dissolves easily in cold drinks (or in recipes). It's sweeter than sugar so you need less, which is good! I've only tried it in this recipe so far, but I think it came out great. I will definitely be trying it in more things.
Buckwheat Pancakes with Blueberries
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tablespoon agave nectar (or 2 tbs sugar)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
12 oz fresh blueberries, rinsed
Grease and preheat griddle to high. Stir dry ingredients together in large bowl. Add milk, eggs, oil, and applesauce. Mix well. Add blueberries and mix gently. Pour by 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle. When air bubbles begin to break and edges begin to set, flip pancakes. Cook another minute or so until lightly browned. Makes about 20 pancakes (no, I didn't count them!). Serve warm with extra applesauce or agave nectar (or syrup, if you must), and top with lemon-vanilla whipped cream. (To make the cream, chill mixing bowl and beater. Beat heavy cream, vanilla, agave nectar, lemon juice and lemon zest until soft peaks form. I used about 1/2 cup of cream, 1/2 teaspoon each of vanilla and lemon juice, 1 teaspoon agave nectar, and a dash of zest.)
Enjoy!
2 comments:
Is it really 4 tablespoons baking powder? That sounds like a lot. My recipe for plain old pancakes uses 4 teaspoons so I am just curious.
Now I want breakfast for dinner! That sounds delicious. What did you do with Laina for the hike? Did you put her in the front carrier or was it stroller friendly?
oops, thanks for catching that, Rachel. I changed it in the post - it is 4 TEAspoons baking powder.
Jay will post more on the hike. We borrowed a baby backpack from our neighbor.
Post a Comment