Monday, August 20, 2007

I knew there was a reason I dislike HOAs

I don't know if this is really blog-worthy or not, but I'm going to post for those who like frequent updates and since it's bugging me right now.

We got a notice from our HOA that we owe a late fee for our dues. Excuse me? We're on direct debit, and we have the funds in the account, how can we be late? I called them and they explain to me that this is a late fee from back in April! And I'm just now being notified of it? So the whole story goes that back in March when we moved in, I called to see when we needed to send our first payment and how to get onto direct debit. They said April was covered from escrow, and to mail May and then direct debit would be set up for June and beyond. So when I called about the late notice they said yes, the April dues were taken out of escrow, but were subsequently refunded to the old owners! And they never notified us! Now to get all this straightened out and get the late fee taken off, first I was told I had to talk to the supervisor and she would have to talk to "the board" about it. I never heard back from the supervisor so I called again today and she said I need to write a letter to the board explaining the issue. I can't believe it. This is really a waste of my time for a stupid $25 late fee. But $25 is $25 and I would rather have the money. Plus, it's an issue of principle here.

OK, end of rant.

3 comments:

Amber said...

That is awful! What a bunch of retards! That is the worst when you have to waste your time to fix someone else's mistake. I hope you get your money back!

Tara said...

I totally understand what you're going through. I had to be on the phone with American Express over a supposed "late" payment which resulted in almost $1,000 in interest and late charges. In fact, the payment wasn't late, but early. Too early. It took me three phone calls and about 2 hours to get it straightened out. I sometimes wish there was a place you could go and just talk face to face with someone.

Janice said...

Ah, yes the evil HOA society. They made us put siding on our shed that we inherited from the previous owners (in the middle of WINTER!) Ten days to complete it or you'll face big fines. This is after you've blown your budget on Christmas gifts and don't have an extra $300 for this project. Merry Christmas!