Then the girls got dressed up in their costumes and we went on a "Trek or Treat" hike with our neighbors. This is Lia dressed up as a giraffe before we headed out.
Saturday, October 30, 2010
Pre-Halloween Fun
First we made these delicious pumpkin cookies (recipe at www.lainaslaundry.blogspot.com).


Then the girls got dressed up in their costumes and we went on a "Trek or Treat" hike with our neighbors. This is Lia dressed up as a giraffe before we headed out.
On the hike, you couldn't see much of Lia because she was stuffed inside my mei-tai carrier.
Laina found this Dumbo costume at the consignment store and she makes a perfect little elephant. Her friends came too as Minnie Mouse and a pretty princess.
Then we made popcorn balls! This is a special treat that I haven't had since I was a kid. The taste is yummy but I didn't quite get the mixing and the distribution of the caramel right. Next time I will follow my mom's recipe which says to actually mix the popcorn in the pot w/the caramel. I followed a recipe I found online which said to pour the caramel over the popcorn and mix. I think doing it in the pot would have made a much gooey-er, stuck together better popcorn ball. We ended up with a lot of popcorn left in the bowl w/little or no caramel on it. Still delicious for us to eat, though!
I found a recipe to use brown rice syrup instead of corn syrup. It still had granulated sugar in it, though. I need to see if brown rice syrup all on it's own would caramelize. I'm trying to use brown rice syrup more b/c of it's low glycemic index. I did find some recipes with just the brown rice syrup and peanut butter. I just wasn't sure if I'd like the popcorn balls to taste like PB. I might try that next time though.
Then the girls got dressed up in their costumes and we went on a "Trek or Treat" hike with our neighbors. This is Lia dressed up as a giraffe before we headed out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment